Los Angeles is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and with good reason. There's something for everyone in this city – from sandy beaches to Hollywood glamour to high-end shopping. However, Los Angeles can be expensive, especially if you're not careful. Even Los Angeles residents can find themselves blowing their budget on a day out in the city. Here are five tips to help you see Los Angeles on a budget:
1. Check for discounts. Many attractions in Los Angeles offer discounted rates for students, seniors, AAA members, and more. Be sure to ask about any discounts that may be available when you purchase your tickets.
2. Take advantage of free attractions. There are plenty of free things to do in Los Angeles, including visiting world-famous landmarks like the Hollywood Sign and Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Walk along the Santa Monica Pier, people watch on Rodeo Drive, or explore one of the city's many museums (many of which offer free days or reduced admission prices).
3. Buy a CityPass. If you're planning on visiting multiple attractions while you're in Los Angeles, consider purchasing a CityPass. This pass gives you access to several of the city's most popular attractions, including the Los Angeles Zoo, the Hollywood Sign, and Universal Studios Hollywood, at a discounted rate.
4. Consider visiting parks or hiking. Los Angeles is home to some of the most beautiful parks and hiking trails in the world. Griffith Park, for example, offers stunning views of the city, while Runyon Canyon is a popular spot for celebrity sightings. Better yet, you can hike all the way up to the Hollywood sign! Best of all, these activities are completely free.
5. Eat like a local. Restaurants near tourist attractions tend to be expensive, so eat like a local and head to one of the city's many mom and pop eateries. You'll find great food at a fraction of the price. When trying to find local favorites, Yelp is always a good resource.
By following these tips, you can save money and still enjoy all that Los Angeles has to offer. Whether you are visiting from out-of-town or you live in a luxury San Fernando Valley apartment, these tips will help you explore the greatest sights in Los Angeles County without breaking the bank.